This archived article was written by: Kayla Newman
1) Baseball season comes right at the end of winter, when spring is arriving. It comes with sunshine and optimism for a successful season. Each season starts with a clean slate, while the successes of the year before can still be savored, the failures can be set aside and new goals can be made. While the USUE baseball team is currently in their “fall ball” season, the team has over 40 guys on the roster, all of them are fighting for a spot on the spring team, which will take about 20 players, so they can go into a new, successful season.
2) Baseball is a timeless sport that can be understood and loved by everyone. The clock doesn’t run out, there is no coin toss, no confusing, technical rules of any sort, nothing like that. Yankee’s shortstop, Derek Jeter was asked why he loved baseball. He said, “I think because everybody can relate. You don’t have to be 7 feet tall; you don’t have to be a certain size to play. Baseball is up and down. I think life’s like that sometimes, you know? Back and forth, up and down, you’re going through this grind. I think people like watching it.”
3) Baseball is an impressive sport. It’s not like football, where any big guy can hit another big guy really hard, baseball takes keen focus and talent. It’s been said that the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a round ball square in the middle with a round bat. Now add in the fact that the ball is coming at you at speeds close to 100 mph with movement, the feat of hitting the ball becomes even more impressive. The Eagles have already been hard at work during the preseason, perfecting their swing, working on plays, and working off the field to improve their agility and strength to become even better at this impressive sport.
4) Baseball is more like a marathon than a sprint. The season is long, giving a team multiple opportunities to make something of themselves. The USUE men’s baseball team starts their regular season Jan. 29 and plays all the way through May 14. This gives the Eagles time to prove they are one of the better teams in the conference.
5) Just imagine sitting at an afternoon USUE baseball game, the blue sky stretching above the field, the smell of freshly mowed grass, the sound of crack of the bat and the cheers of the crowd. Baseball assaults to all the senses- in a good way. While some argue that baseball is boring because it is so slow, that’s the relaxing part. Just enjoying the game and being there to support your team is what baseball is all about. Start the countdown for the Eagle’s Spring season.!