This archived article was written by: Andrew Stilson
Price city set up a 52-foot screen in Pioneer Park showing Ghost and Scooby Doo free as a way of thanking residents for conserving water this past summer. People brought families, chairs and blankets to watch the four hours of movies.
A local citizen said, “I liked it, it’s a good thing to have for a family outing it gives the kids something to do.”
• Do you think that having a movie night in the park is a benefit for children, adults, and college students? “Yes, it keeps them off the streets and gets the older people out of the house,” added a citizen. “Yeah, because it gives kids a chance to interact with different age groups. Adults enjoy it to. They spend time with their kids, and college students enjoy it because it is a relaxation from their studies,” added another local citizen.
• How often would you like to have Price City offer a free movie in the park? “Once a week,” added a local citizen.
• What does Price need to make it a better place? “More things for people to do that don’t cost an arm and a leg,” added a local citizen.
• What do you think of the movies? Billie Anderson from Price says, “I love them, they’re funny.” Dawnea Freeman from Price says, “I love them, I think they’re great. They should have them more often. It helps keep the kids out of trouble and families together and they can come up here and watch it. It could be a family unit.” A local citizen says “it was a good movie, very family oriented.”
• Do you think that Price City should offer more free movies in the park? “Yes, it gives kids something to do on Saturday. It gives them something to do instead of driving up and down main street and causing trouble,” Anderson continued.
• Do you think that having a movie night in the park is a benefit for children, adults, and college students? “Yes, it gets people out of the house. They need to lower the prices of food and things like the glow sticks, it’s outrageous, the prices are,” added Anderson. Another citizen commented, “Yeah I do, because more time kids spend with their family, the less likely they are to get into trouble.”
• How often would you like to have a free movie in the park? “Twice a month at least,” added Anderson. “Well, every weekend if possible, but every other weekend would even be good,” said Freeman.
• What does Price need to make it a better place? “More activities for people,” added Anderson.
• Do you think it’s good for the kids and why? “Yes it is. It keeps them together and there away from the drug scenes and there away from the other entire problem kids. It keeps them preoccupied. They can get with their friends up here and be together. It would be a safe environment. But I like this movie thing it’s really nice, I see a lot of kids that aren’t in class right now and saw a bunch of my friends that didn’t have anything to do up here. I mean, this place, Price is really boring at times. There’s not much to do here,” Freeman said.
• What does Price need to make it a better place? “A fun center would be great. Something that people could go to and kill time. In Price all it is, go to the movies, go bowling, or go to the movies. That’s it, or hang out in parking lots but usually the teenagers have that market cornered. This also gives a little extra for the college students to come to as well,” added Freeman.