This archived article was written by: Valeria Moncada
“Tyson’s the hero. He knew what needed to be done and protected his students,” said professor Pam Miller. Tyson Chappell, Ph.D., called the carbon county HazMat team on Dec. 2 due to a chemical spill in the Reeve’s building second floor.
“There was a minor spill, no deaths” Chappell said. There was a 500 MM bottle of Paraformaldehide heating up in the biology lab. It became too hot and the bottom of the bottle cracked, then the fluid spilled.
“I called the HazMat team because I wanted to be safe. The fluids can burn your skin,” he said.