This archived article was written by: Dean Thacker
Going on dates is great fun for all college students, but in a smaller town, it is sometimes hard to find the best date ideas. Here is a list of my top 10 date ideas at USU Eastern.
10. Coldstone and Price River Trail- Everyone loves ice cream! Why not get a sweet treat and go to the newly created Price River Trail. This trail was finished in December 2011 so enjoy it walking it with a date and then treat yourself at Coldstone Ice Cream.
9. Bonfire- North of campus in the Price hills are iconic for having bonfires in the miles and miles of empty acreage. This date would be great with a few couples. I suggest bringing stuff for hotdogs and s’mores. After the fire has died down, bring blankets and go stargazing.
8. Ghost Hunting- If you like messing with the supernatural, I recommend going to White Lady. If you haven’t heard the story of White Lady, ask a local about the haunting in Spring Canyon, west of Helper. If you are still interested get a date, bring a flashlight and I pray that you don’t run into the White Lady who still roams the canyons in the six-deserted coal towns in the canyon. There’s also a great paved walking trail to hike up for miles.
7. Bowling and Groggs- For those who love classic dates, and are more inside people, I suggest eating at the world-famous Groggs on Carbonville Road (ranked one of Utah’s best restaurants) and then go next door to the bowling alley. Groggs is delicious and bowling is fantastic so this is a perfect lunch date.
6. Coffee and Crystals- Helper is a unique town. The old town feel makes you want to sit and have a cup of java or hot chocolate at the amazing Happiness Within. After you are done, walk up and down the streets of Helper with art galleries and specialty shop. Visit the Helper Western and Railroad Museum, the crystal shop and get matching tattoos… or not, your choice.
5. Sunset at the sign – If you haven’t been to the USU Eastern sign on “C” Hill, I highly recommend it. This is a perfect date to go right before sunset. The hike up to it is easy and short, visit the cave along the way. When you get to the top, take pics for your instagram account, and wait until the sun goes down to see the lights of Price or the incredible Milky Way.
4. Scofield day trip – If you haven’t been to Scofield, it is worth the trip. There is something to do at any time of the year. If it is winter, go sledding or ice fishing; if it is summer, go swimming and a picnic. In the spring and fall, there are lots of trail heads to escape into the scenic mountains. There is always something to do in Scofield.
3. Late Night Drive- This is a date that can be last minute, and you can really do any time. I suggest late at night, fuel up the tank and just drive. There are a ton a fun drives just a few miles just outside of Price.
2. Frisbee golf and dinner- If you don’t have a car or you want to stay on campus, play on the 18-hole frisbee golf course. It is a great way to have a fun pick-up game and conclude it with a trip to Main Street Grille which is a Price city classic. The best part is the ice cream sundae bar at the end of each meal.
1. Little Grand Canyon- If you have never been to Little Grand Canyon in the San Rafael Swell, it is located south of Price in Emery County. To make this date amazing, wake up early, prepare a breakfast and have a picnic as the sunrises. This date will sure be a hit.