This archived article was written by: Kyle VanAmen
1. Because it makes people mad – I love all the responses I get from my articles. It lets me know I’m doing my job. I think it’s great when the editor publishes the letters to me back in the paper so everyone can enjoy them as much as I do.
2. Because people can’t take a joke – All I’ve got to say is lighten up people. If I did write something that you didn’t agree with, don’t cry about it; take it with a grain of salt. It’s not like I’m attacking you personally so don’t be so dramatic….get it…. I have gotten a lot of comments back where people are attacking me personally and think it’s funny. That’s the approach you should have too.
3. If you are a theater major – I wrote a past article about the Top 10 Most Useless Degrees and theater was one of them. It made the list because it’s 100 percent true. A week after I wrote my article, Yahoo came out with their Top 5 Most Useless Degrees, and wouldn’t you know it, theater was number 4! So maybe there is some truth to it after all.
4. If you love museums for first dates – When you go on a first date, both the man and the woman want to have fun…museums are not fun for first dates. If I were to have taken my fiancée to a museum for our first date, I wouldn’t be getting married, trust me I asked her.
5. If you think I’m a journalism major – I am a jock. I play baseball and I’m not majoring in anything. I’m going to be a firefighter/ paramedic. I don’t expect to be rolling in the dough, I’m just writing this stuff for fun. But with all the responses I’m getting, hell, I might want to major in journalism after all.
6. Because it’s true – Some people have gotten upset about what I write, but sometimes it’s hard to face the facts. I write my opinion, which is a college student’s opinion, about various topics that are funny and some that can affect students in a much more serious way. It may not be what some people want to hear, but it is for the most part true (as you read with #2).
7. Because it’s funny – Most everybody I have talked to about my articles love them. They think they are really funny, which is what I aim for most of the time. And when I get letters back, it makes me laugh because it makes me take a step back and see just how tight people are wound up. It is okay to laugh at yourself once in a while.
8. Because it’s different – Not many people this year at The Eagle have done Top 10 Lists, partly because it’s too easy for them. That being said, students don’t usually get to read Top 10 Lists on a regular basis. I think that students like to read my articles because they are not too long and want to see what made the list. Plus it does all the above.
9. Because I’m just a guy – I’m not some kid who is going to be president one day. I’m just a guy who is making his way through life, pissing people off and trying to do his best. I’m not special, I’m just lucky enough to have my “crazy” opinions published in a newspaper and think the students pick up on that.
10. I really don’t know – When I first started writing for The Eagle, I wasn’t the best story teller, but after I found my niche (Top 10 Lists), I blossomed. Now my articles are on page 2. I had no idea I was good at this. I really don’t know why people care what I write about, I think it’s because it’s funny or they love hearing how people write me back. Either way people care and I love it.